I still want to eat chocolate cake everyday, but know that refined products such as white flour and white sugar lead to problems down the road. This is similar to the recipe I ate growing up, and have adapted it from 'Add a Pinch'
to be gluten-free and dairy-free including some of Alpha's best products. This is a cake the whole family will love!
- 2 cups gluten-free flour (Bob's Red Mill)
- 2 cups Alpha Coconut Sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1.5 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. instant coffee
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup Alpha Organic Red Palm Olein
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3/4 cup Alpha DME Coconut Oil, chilled
- 3.5 cups organic icing sugar
- 2 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Prepare two 9-inch cake pans by greasing lightly with coconut oil.
- Add flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and instant coffee to a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Whisk through to combine or, using your paddle attachment, stir through flour mixture until combined well.
- Add milk, red palm olein, eggs, and vanilla to flour mixture and mix together on medium speed until well combined. Reduce speed and carefully add boiling water to the cake batter. Beat on high speed for about 1 minute to add air to the batter.
- Distribute cake batter evenly between the two prepared cake pans. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and cool completely before icing, at least an hour.
- Once cooled, evenly frost cake with icing.
- Whip cold coconut oil for 3 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add 2 cups of icing sugar until completely incorporated.
- Add cocoa, vanilla and blend until smooth.
- Add remaining icing sugar, and whip again.
Leave a comment