These are crazy good. This recipe made a couple Alpha employees very happy to be able to enjoy an onion ring again. Made with a light, gluten-free and dairy-free batter, these have a little crunch and a lot of flavour. Be prepared, they disappear fast.
- 2 medium white onions, rinsed and sliced in rings
- 1 cup brown rice flour - 1/4 cup left aside
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/8 tsp. garlic powder
- 3/4 cup almond milk (or other non-dairy substitute)
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- Red Palm Olein for frying
- Heat your oil in fryer to 375°F. If using a deep pan, make sure you have at least an inch in height of oil.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine all your dry ingredients - leaving 1/4 cup flour to side.
- Slowly add in the almond milk and lemon juice, whisk until well combined and you will have a semi-thick batter.
- Toss your onions in the 1/4 cup flour - they will be very lightly dusted.
- Then dip your onions in the batter making sure fully coated.
- Lightly drop into oil and allow to cook for about 2 minutes, or until golden brown, turning half way through.
- Place on a paper towel lined baking sheet.
- When all onion rings are done you can add a little extra salt if required.
Leave a comment